Site and Forum Rules
Summary of rules
- Forum users must ensure that they comply with the forum rules (read more).
- Posts must not contain any information that would allow any other person to identify any child for whom you do not have full parental responsibility (read more).
- When using the forums you are expected to be polite and respectful towards all forum users including the Forum Moderators (read more).
- Feel free to begin or contribute to debates in an active and honest way. However please ensure that your posts are relevant to the focus of PAFCA or likely to be of interest to its users (read more).
- You must not post any message that could be considered unwanted, defamatory, obscene, offensive, deliberately provocative, inflammatory, or unlawful. This includes information about the child(ren) in your care (read more).
- Be “troll” aware! (read more).
- Your posting must be your own comments; be factual, truthful and where an opinion is given, it must be clearly acknowledged as such (read more).
- You must not post complaints on the forums but please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any concerns or complaints (read more).
- Your posts must not contain commercial promotion or advertising of jobs, goods or services (read more).
- Discussion of potential or actual legal proceedings is not allowed on the public discussion forums (read more).
- Forum users are allowed one forum account only (read more).
- Your registered screen name and avatars must not contain website or email address details, the name, or identifiable abbreviation of, an organisation, company, contact or location information, expletives, obscenities, religious statements or other potentially contentious terminology (read more).
- Children of 16 years and under are not allowed to use our forums (read more).
- Your posts must not be deemed as spam, or contain references to non-PAFCA surveys, contests or chain letters (read more).
- Postings must not infringe copyright law (read more).
- Your membership to PAFCA will renew automatically (read more)
- Annual subscriptions are non-refundable (read more)
- How we use your information (read more)
Most importantly we hope to not have to apply any of these rules. We want you to contribute and make use of the site in any way you see fit. We urge you to be a positive, proactive member of the PAFCA community and make it work for you.
Forum users must ensure that they comply with the forum rules.
- It is your responsibility to make sure you are up to date with the forum rules.
- Failure to respect these rules may result in a formal warning from our moderating team. If you receive three such warnings you will be banned from using our forums. Severe breaches may result in an instant ban. In such cases users will not be entitled to full or part refund of subscription fees.
- All forums are moderated. Private messages are not moderated but remain subject to the same rules.
- PAFCA members should note that breaching the forum rules could lead to the locking of your forum account.
- Our moderators’ interpretation of the rules is final. If they consider that you have breached the rules they will usually contact you by Private Message via the forums and/or email and explain why they have taken action. Find out more about how the forums are moderated (read more).
Posts must not contain any information that would allow any other person to identify any child for whom you do not have full parental responsibility.
- The children discussed in the forums have a legal and ethical right to respect and privacy. Therefore whilst we encourage honest and frank conversations please maintain children’s anonymity.
- In the case of children for whom the user does not have full parental responsibility (e.g. fostered children), the child must not be identifiable from any information posted.
- In the case of children for whom the user the does not have full parental responsibility, users are urged to consider the importance of children’s privacy and the impact of having that privacy breached.
- Children must not appear in your profile picture or screen name. PAFCA may remove profiles and/or photographs if this rule is breached.
When using the forums you are expected at all times to be polite and respectful towards all forum users including the Forum Moderators.
- We encourage respectfully challenging discussions and an opportunity to vent frustrations. However please do not indulge in personal criticism of other users or non-users, bullying, aggressive, discriminatory or nuisance behaviour. Impolite or inappropriate postings made towards other users will be removed without notification.
- Please remember our forums are used by people from a range of personal and cultural backgrounds. Therefore it is important to take into account cultural differences and language. English may not be the first language of other forum users.
- Humour is often difficult to use in forums. A lack of context can easily lead to misunderstandings or offence “smilies” and avatars can help to convey tone. In some (hopefully rare) cases, its use may be considered inappropriate by the Moderators.
Feel free to begin or contribute to debates in an active and honest way. However please ensure that your posts are relevant to the focus of PAFCA or likely to be of interest to its users.
- The forums are for discussion and debate of issues relevant to the emotional and mental health and behaviours of fostered and adopted children and other topics of interest to foster carers and adopters. If your topic or posting deviates from these topics, or strays significantly from the original post, it may be moved to an appropriate forum, locked or hidden at the Forum Moderators’ discretion.
- If you are not sure whether your message is appropriate, please contact us via email@example.com.
- Please select the correct forum when posting. We may move messages to the relevant forum and let you know by email or private message.
- You must not use the forums to pursue or promote a grievance against any individual or organisation. This is not to stifle debate but to prevent unwarranted attacks on others.
- Discussion about comments made by public figures on relevant issues are encouraged as long as the other rules are adhered to.
- If you believe that content placed on our forums breaches this rule, you must tell contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
Be “troll” aware
- A post (or posts) in a thread that is solely intended to incite controversy or conflict or cause annoyance or offence is considered "trolling" and a user who posts only to incite conflict or reaction is known as a "troll". Some people find it amusing to see if they can upset others on the internet, or create/perpetuate conflict. Such posts and the responses they generate tend to undermine the friendly atmosphere of a forum.
- Users should be mindful of not “feeding” trolls by reacting impulsively to obvious attempts to cause conflict.
- If you think that someone is “trolling” please PM a Moderator or email email@example.com detailing your concerns, highlighting the specific posts that you are concerned about.
- You must not appear to deliberately misquote another person or make misleading statements.
- You must not register to use the forums as another person or pose as another person when posting.
You must not post complaints on the forums.
- You must not post a complaint about identifiable users, PAFCA moderators or moderating action.
- If you are concerned about a moderating decision, posts or communications from a moderator, the forum rules or another user’s behaviour /profile/post/private message, please use the Report Message link available beneath every post. Alternatively you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All concerns are considered by the moderating team. We’ll get back to you in five working days.
- This rule includes the promotion of personal causes and campaigns that are not relevant to fostered and adopted children.
- It is acceptable for forum users to give brief details of a supplier or service in response to specific requests on the forum. There is no limitation on information provided via the private messaging facility and this may be used without restriction.
Discussion of potential or actual legal proceedings is prohibited on the public discussion forums.
- Public inquiries may be discussed on the Members’ Forum.
Forum users are allowed one forum account only.
- If you attempt to use multiple accounts, we may remove your access to our forums without notice and without entitlement to refund.
- If PAFCA believe that the information you’ve provided to register with is incorrect, your account may be suspended or removed without entitlement to refund.
Your registered screen name and avatars must not contain website or email address details, the name or identifiable abbreviation of an organisation or company, contact or location information, expletives, obscenities, religious statements or other potentially contentious terminology.
- If your screen name does not follow this rule, or is otherwise objectionable, the Web team will contact you and change your screen name as needed.
- Before you upload an image to use as your avatar, you will need to check that the image does not breach copyright laws. You remain solely liable for any material, including avatars that you publish, display or transmit on the PAFCA website. (Read more about liability).
Children of 16 years and under are not allowed to use our forums.
- If you are under 16 please ask your parent, guardian or teacher to post the question for you.
Your posts must not be deemed as spam, or contain references to surveys, contests or chain letters.
- All spam postings will be removed from our forums. If your posts are deemed to be spam your access to our forums will be removed without notice.
Postings must not infringe copyright law.
- The forums must not be used to post, exchange or download material protected by copyright law.
- You must fully reference any extracts from copyrighted material.
- If you breach copyright laws your post will be removed.
- You may be held liable for the content you post. Be aware of content on the World Wide Web that might be subject to copyright. For more information on copyright law, please visit the UK Intellectual Property Office website.The forums must not be used to post, exchange or download material protected by copyright law.Postings must not infringe copyright law.
- The forums must not be used to post, exchange or download material protected by copyright law.Postings must not infringe copyright law.
Your PAFCA membership will renew automatically
- We will remind you about your renewal payment you at least 7 days before your membership is due to expire.
- If you wish to cancel you renewal please email us at least 7 days prior to the renewal date and we will ensure that no further payments are taken.
Annual subscriptions are non-refundable
- This is in the case of you changing your mind about membership of PAFCA and
- If your membership is cancelled due to breaches of the terms and conditions.
How we use your information
- We will never pass any of the information you give us to third parties.
- We will use your contact details to keep you informed of PAFCA related information.
- If you do not want to receive any information about PAFCA then either email on email@example.com us or press the unsubscribe button at the bottom of any PAFCA marketing email.
How PAFCA is moderated.
Our site (including forums) are moderated by a team of Moderators. Their key task is to make sure our rules are followed by everyone who uses the forums. Their work is usually completed confidentially through private mail with the relevant forum users.
If the moderators consider that your message has broken our rules, they will remove it. Where possible, we will let you know that your message is unacceptable and why. If you have been formally warned in this way more than twice, on the third occasion, your access to the forums will be removed without entitlement to part or full refund
The moderating team’s interpretation of the forum rules is final. If you are unhappy with their decision please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org. You must not make any comment on the forum.
Complaints & reporting procedure.
We are committed to providing a high quality, accessible and responsive service to our members and the public. However, if you believe that things have gone wrong, please send your complaints or comments via email@example.com. We will try to respond to any complaint within five working days.
If our response is not to your satisfaction, you may ask that it is referred for external moderation by professionals with an understanding of the nature of PAFCA’s work. The decision made at this stage is final.
You must not post complaints on the discussion forums.
Postings made by forum users are personal opinions and not those of Parenting Advice for Foster Carers and Adopters (PAFCA). PAFCA is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.
Your email address is not visible to other forum users. To contact another user outside of the forums you should use our private messaging service. If you disclose your email address in a forum posting or private message you do so at your own risk. We do not accept any responsibility if something goes wrong as a result of publicising personal details on forum.
PAFCA staff members are able to view your email address. We will not publish or provide your email address to anyone unless they have a legal right to request such information. If we need to contact you about the discussion forums for administration or response to a complaint purposes we will use the Private Message system and/or the email address that you used to register with PAFCA.
PAFCA staff members are able to see your Internet Protocol (IP) address when you post a message on our forums. This is the address used to connect your computer to the Internet. This information is for use by PAFCA only and is only used to prevent misuse of the discussion forums. We will not disclose your IP address to anyone unless they have a legal right to request it.
You remain solely liable for any material you publish, display or transmit on the PAFCA website. You agree to indemnify (cover the costs of) PAFCA and its officers and employees against any claim, liability, cost, damage, other expenses or loss we may incur (including without limitation legal fees) as a result of any material you publish, display or transmit on the PAFCA website or any violation by you of your obligations under these forum and blog rules. PAFCA expressly excludes liability for any loss or damage resulting from the use of the website by any person in contravention of these forum and blog rules. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove, or to disable access to, any material which we think is potentially defamatory of any person, unlawful or in violation of the any third party rights or any other part of these rules.